Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Lilly Pulitzer "Navy Bloomers" inspired tutorial

Lately I've been crafting more often since I'm trying to get items done for my dorm room. I love monograms and decided that I would paint myself a monogrammed canvas! Luckily for you guys, I actually took pictures and made a tutorial for this! I loathe long introductions and therefore, let's begin!

Navy Bloomers (sorry I couldn't find the major print I worked off of!)



Materials needed:
  • Paint in Navy, Hot pink, Light pink, Green, and White (these are the traditional Lilly colors but you can use whatever colors for your liking)
  • Canvas
  • Paintbrush, one thick and one thin
  • Paint pen, pink
  • Modge Podge
  • Glitter,  hot pink
  • Ribbon, pink
 
First off, after painting the entire canvas navy, add these little shapes randomly along the canvas. Basically, I just drew a bunch of little cirlces and then added the lines connecting them. Just eyeball where you want to put these designs. Lilly patterns are spontaneous so don't worry!

 

Next, add imperfect circles in the same hot pink used to make the weird shapes (I don't know what else to call them!)
 
 
 


 
Now add these fern like shapes. I made a V-shape and then added alternating lines above it to keep with the V-shape. I topped it with a single line to make a point. This is still in the hot pink color.

 
 
Get the lighter pink and add more imperfect circles (which will later become flowers). The second shape you'll add is a fan like shape. It's very circular in style. Draw some in both colors of pink.

 

 
Outline the fern and fan shapes with the green paint.
 
 
 
With the white paint, add contour lines on the light pink flowers. I added two lines to each flower but you could do it however you like! With the dark pink flowers, add contour lines with the light pink paint.

 
With the white paint, add a center dot to each of the flowers. On the giant odd shaped items, fill the circlular parts of it with white paint. (I missed one shape, I know! I eventually fill it in so just ignore it for now)
 



I know it's hard to tell, but add a single green dot on top of the small white dots you added on the flowers.
 
 
On the ferns, fill in the empty space between your lines with white paint.
 
 
Now with your green paint, add stems to all the flowers, ferns, and fan shapes. Try to make them all connect to at least one other shape. Don't connect any to the oddly shaped ones though
 
 
Start adding leaves to your stems and extra stems to fill up all the empty space.
 
 
Now outline everything but the little balls on the odd-shaped shape with white paint!
 

 
This is where the mongramming begins! I was not as good with taking pictures on these parts though. I added a rectangle in the middle of my canvas. I grabbed a picture frame that was the right size for this and traced the shape in the middle of the canvas. I filled it in with white paint. It took 3 or 4 coats for it to cover the main part of the canvas nicely.
 
 
Outline the rectangle with a pink paint pen. It took 3 or 4 lines to get the line thick enough for my liking.
 
 
I didn't take pictures of the next part of this. Sorry! I drew the monogram I wanted with a pencil. Once I was satisfied, (with my oh so boring two letter monogram) I painted over it with Modge Podge. I then sprinkled glitter on it. I had to do this step quite a few times to get the coverage I wanted. Lastly, I added a glitter ribbon to the back and I was done!
 
 
 
I think it came out really nice! I'm beyond satisfied with it! In the next few days, I'll have another post up! I think it's a winner!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment