Wednesday, December 25, 2013

BIG REVEAL

I finally got a Silhouette Cameo! I am one happy crafter this Christmas season! I ended up getting the vinyl starter kit and the glass etching kit for Christmas. However, I was only able to work the vinyl today! My first task was to make a small monogram vinyl decal! I actually have a mini tutorial for this as well. 


It's adorable, right?! 

Materials:
Silhouette Cameo
Premium Vinyl (I used Silhouette's                           brand of vinyl) 
Transfer Paper
A tool for weeding (I used Silhouette hook tool)
Silhouette Scraper Tool


First, I made my monogram using the basic Silhouette software. It's fairly simple and it'll cut any font you already have on your computer. I downloaded this monogram font from Dafont.com. I typed the 'M' and the 'V' seperately then arranged the letters where I wanted. I selected the monogram in it's entirety, right clicked and welded it together. All this does is create a unifying monogram so it cuts as one piece. 

When cutting, the Silhouette software gives you recommended settings for the blade number, speed and pressure of the cut. Personally, for my vinyl needs I've placed my blade on #1 rather than #2. 


I know it's kind of hard to tell, but this is what the vinyl looks like after being cut. At this point, I cut the vinyl to make it a smaller working area for when I weed it. 


This is the monogram after weeding it! Now from here you could just peel the vinyl off or you can use transfer paper. I prefer to use transfer paper because it's a quicker process for applying the vinyl to whatever surface you decide! 



I know it's sideways, I'm working off my phone, sorry! This is the transfer paper once it's applied to the vinyl. 


Simple peel the original backing of the vinyl and you'll end up with what you see above! From here you just place your vinyl wherever you chose! This particular transfer paper is great because of the grids. It gives me the guidance I need to make sure I'm placing the vinyl in the correct spot. You'll need to use a scraper of some sort to set the vinyl in place while the transfer paper is still on. It'll just help transfer the vinyl to the new surface!


So there it is! This monogram is about 3 inches tall and 2 1/2 inches wide. All in all it probably took 5-10 minutes! 

Here's another craft I made!


I'm already in love with this machine! The possibilities are endless! 


No comments:

Post a Comment