Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Graduation!

Three years of endless school and I'm finally graduating from Texas State! Wahoo! 

With graduating comes many responsibilities. However, one of the minuscule and more exciting aspects of graduating is decorating my graduation cap! And luckily for you, I may have documented my progress. 

I started by browsing Pinterest and it's variety of graduation caps. I didn't find anything that I really enjoyed so I switched my focus to looking at quotes. I stumbled upon this ever famous quote.


The teacher in me decided to switch it up and change the verbage slightly, "Teach the change you wish to see." I didn't think I could fit the "in the world part" so I wanted to add the Earth in the cap somehow. 

My final graduation cap! 


So here's how I accomplished this:

I bought black glittered scrapbook paper from Hobby Lobby to use as the base for my grad cap. I traced the cap onto the paper and cut it out so it would fit atop the cap. I then had to cut a hole for the tassel-part of the cap. 



After this, I needed to cut out a circle for the Earth part of the design. I had initially planned to use my Silhouette Cameo to cut out a circle but I was feeling a bit lazy and changed my planned. Instead I used my fishbowl and traced a circle onto a piece of cardstock. 


Once again I cut out a center circle for the tassel and then drew my design on the piece of cardstock. 


I covered all "ocean" areas with Modge Podge before sprinkling it with glitter. I placed the paper underneath the circle in order to attempt to collect the excess glitter in order to place it back in the container. 


I repeated this process with the "land" pieces of the Earth. While I waited for the "Earth" to dry, I hot glued the black glitter paper to my cap. 


(Sorry for the low quality photo here!)

I put the Earth in it's place on the cap and positioned the letters until I was happy with their position. The letters were just scrapbook stickers I bought from Hobby Lobby. For this quote, I only needed one package of stickers! 


I then added different details to the cap. I love Disney and Mickey Mouse so I purchased these small gem stickers from Hobby Lobby and used them to frame the quote. I also bought school related scrapbook stickers and placed them on the corners of the cap. 

I really wanted a bow on my cap so I created the one you see in the picture! 

Once I was happy with the placement of everything, I glued down the "Earth" piece first. I then glued down the letters, the gems, the bow and stickers. I used hot glue for everything. 


I am SO happy with how it turned out and I cannot wait for graduation!

No comments:

Post a Comment