Sunday, November 30, 2014

'Tis the Season


I know I haven't finished all of my Big/Little Reveal posts yet, but I just had to share my project from today! 

I was told over the weekend that I should make a Christmas-themed wreath for our door to keep our sorority house festive. Of course, my roommates selected me to do the hard work and I immediately logged into Pinterest and began browsing. I ended up stumbling upon a Christmas Tree shaped deco mesh wreath! 
              Image via: Pinterest.com

Now, even though I saw this wreath I really had no clue how to accomplish it. I originally planned to do a snowman wreath but somehow came across the tree instead. 

Usually, I'm a Hobby Lobby kind of girl but since it was Sunday I had to go to other craft stores and spent hours looking for materials. My trip proved even more difficult because I wasn't sure what kind of work wreath I needed to create this tree! 

I eventually gave up searching for the unknown and got creative. I found the wire easels typically used for floral arrangements in the floral section of my craft store and figured I could make it work. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a reference: 
Image via: http://www.mteden.com/catalog.aspx?subcat=50120&mastcat=Funeral

They had the cone shape I was looking for and I assumed with some patience and wire I could make my own wreath form. 


After messing with it for a brief amount of time, I was able to secure the middle wire of the easel by wrapping wire around it. I used pliers and wire cutters from my dad's toolbox for this disassembly. 



I then began to add wire rows to the easel to create my work wreath. This step was fairly simple and didn't take as much time as I thought. 

Next, I added pipe cleaners where I thought necessary. At this point, I was hopeful that my tree would come out the way I imagined. All I did next was form the wreath. I started by working from top to bottom. I did the left column, then the right column, and finally the middle column. 


Once I had finished these steps, I realized I had a few gaps between the columns. I added more pipe cleaners to the wreath form and continued forming my wreath. 

I didn't take pictures of my next steps, but the rest of the wreath was pretty easy! 

I created my bow "tree topper" by following the instructions on Kristen's Creations. (http://kristenscreationsonline.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-to-make-tree-topper.html?m=1) I've used this tutorial multiple times and it's the best explanation that I've ever seen. 

I affixed my tree topper using a pipe cleaner that I attached to the deco mesh. 

My next steps involved a lot of hot glue but I didn't really have a method in which I added the beads and ornaments. Usually when I make wreaths I just kind of wing it. I don't plan much when it comes to what is being placed on the wreath. 

I first added the beads, hoping it would help me space out my ornaments. The ornaments were sporadically placed. Primarily, I just didn't want to have too many empty spots on the wreath. I also didn't want to have too many things on it either. 

Overall, I'm really happy when the way this came out! Especially since I didn't have a cone/tree work wreath! 


Let the holiday festivities begin! 

No comments:

Post a Comment