Thursday, May 16, 2013

Canvas Painting: For Beginners


So, I'm only saying this tutorial is for beginners because I'm a beginner and this method (whether right or wrong) is really working for me. My first attempt at these canvas paintings was the one I made for my mom on Mother's Day.
 

Not too shabby for a beginner! The canvas I bought for this project came with two so I figured I'd make another one and show you my process for doing them. 

Supplies
Canvas (whatever size fits your needs)
Paint in various colors
Thin Paint Brushes
Foam Paint Brush 
Pencil
Eraser
Ruler 



So first off, paint the canvas which ever color you decide. I choose this light lavender color. Personally, I like lighter backgrounds compared to dark but it's all a personal preference. The way I painted my canvas was by squirting a small amount of paint and using the foam brush to spread it out. It was quick and easy. 
        
      After the paint dried, I went ahead and made margins on the canvas horizontally (as seen above.) 



I then made vertical margins. I made these margins by measuring out an inch from the top and the sides. I marked dots all the way down and across so I could "connect the dots" and keep as straight of a line as possible. 

The next step I took was to write out my plan for the quote on a separate piece of paper. (I totally forgot to take a picture of this so I'm sorry!) Basically figure out the fonts you want to use along with spacing and decorative elements. I STRONGLY advise planning on a separate paper because then you'll be less likely to erase on the actual canvas which could just thin the paint out. 



Once you've planned it out transfer it onto the canvas! I generally just eye ball how big to make my letters but if it makes you more comfortable to measure and divide it out, that'd be great too! After that's done, get to painting! For me, thinner brushes are easier to work with. I'd rather do more layers than have it out on too thick with a bigger brush. 

If you find you make painting mistakes a long the way, you can get the base color and try to paint over the mistake. It does blend in well when covering MINOR mistakes. 



By the end of all this you'll have something beautiful to enjoy! Mine are far from perfect but I love it nonetheless. I hope this helps you at least start your canvas painting journey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment